Friday, January 06, 2006

Sam Reviews Public Toilets V: Macquarie Shopping Centre

I thought it high time, considering I haven't written about the places (and toilets) I frequent most outside of uni hours that I review:

Part V: Macquarie Shopping Centre (Food Court)
(Herring Road, North Ryde NSW)

Capacity

Very good. There are about eight cubicles and even during the busiest hours of the food court (which are even busier than the same hours at Carlingford), I've always been able to find a spare one. This is also the first toilet I've reviewed with individual urinals rather than a trough, and while I have no preference, it seems, for some God-unknown reason, that people actually prefer using these to troughs, and so it's not as common for people to use a cubicle for no reason other than male insecurity and shyness as in other places. 9/10

Cleanliness

Fairly poor. Although I never see people using the cubicles often, they really like to fuck around with the toilet paper and leave it lying everywhere. The floor is often quite wet as well - although this isn't quite as bad as in Manly, since I am usually wearing shoes when I'm in there. But considering the frequent rounds made by Macquarie cleaning staff, I think it could be better maintained, especially during quiet hours. 4/10

Washing Area

Good and bad. There are lots of taps (so many so that they stretch around a corner) and they're fairly easy to operate. But, as I have frequently become incensed at, all taps (and that means, for the whole centre, not just this particular toilet) spray out only hot water, which means it's really difficult to get a free drink. I personally think that's really poor form and is bordering on sociopathic by centre management. Okay and hurrah for encouraging enterprise by forcing people to buy cool drinks but I mean even the Horse & Jockey pub is legally required to provide cool drinking water if you ask. Plus they only have automatic dryers - and they're pretty hard to keep going. I remember the highlight of my week a couple of months ago was that I managed to keep one of these air dryers going until my hands were satisfactorily dry. 5/10

Tszujiness

Average. It's white and clean-looking but it's so early-nineties in its decor. It could seriously do with a Thom Felicia-style makeover (Although I'm not sure if he really does bathrooms). I mean, it's fine but there's just nothing attractive about it. It's just a toilet. And considering what all the Westfields are doing to their toilets, I'd say it's time for Macquarie to stick a crowbar into their wallet and renovate up. 3/10

Overall Satisfaction

Considering my main purpose in here these days is to shoot up, it's very good because capacity is what I care about. Otherwise it's pretty satisfying overall, I mean it's the sort of toilet you can use in a hurry when having lunch or something and be safe in the knowledge that you'll get a cubicle or urinal and you probably won't catch cholera. 6.5/10

Ranking in the Public Toilet System

1) Ryde RTA Motor Registry
-> 2) Macquarie Centre Food Court
3) Carlingford Court Ground Level
4) Manly Beach Surf Life Saving Building
5) Top Ryde Shopping Centre Food Court

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how nobody seems to want to comment on your public convenience reviews, isn't it.

January 24, 2006 at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home