Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hi I'm Sam, and I'm a diabetic...

Yes, it’s official. At about 9:15 this morning, I was diagnosed with type I diabetes. I also did other fun things today, like throw streamers around the room and dance to Proclaimers songs.

But what does having type I diabetes mean? Well, medically, I have very little idea except that it makes me thirsty a lot as well as having another dreaded symptom known as “polyuria” which, while sounding like the name of a sun-laden tropical island, is something altogether and entirely different and not quite as much fun.

Being diabetic though, also means other consequences for me. Firstly, the three basic food groups for me are no longer sugar, Manning chips and beer, and I have to learn new, frightening words like “wholegrain”, “complex carbohydrates” and “alpha glucosidase inhibitors”. Essentially I will be put on a diet that consists of two alfalfa sprouts every two hours, and if I feel like a snack I can have a drink of distilled water through an eyedropper. Secondly, since I am insulin-dependent (another one of those frightening biological terms that you always hear but don’t ever want to know what they actually are first-hand, like “enflamed sphincteral cancer”), I will soon be required – yes, required – to shoot up once or twice a day. While they are going to start me on an insulin program first, after a while I’m sure my cravings will get stronger and I’ll start desiring the more psychotropic opiates. It’s only natural, really. And of course, finally, I will be forced to give up my life as a sardonic English student and instead wander the countryside in rags with bells hanging off me, moaning “Unclean, unclean”

Of course, you all think I’m being a bit flippant about this, don’t you? It’s true, I am, I’ll be the first to admit it. It’s funny but I finally learned through this what it means to be in the ‘denial’ phase. I mean for months now I’ve been exhibiting these really strong symptoms, without knowing what they would mean. And then as soon as I’m told I’m diabetic I suddenly feel a bit pissed off and a bit down and wanting to laugh it off. I mean, obviously my reaction would be a lot worse if I were told I have terminal dysentery or something, but it’s just funny that I need to wait for a diagnosis before I actually get annoyed at being unwell. It’s like, I’d rather just have this bizarre constant dehydration for no medical reason at all than to have a reason and hence be ‘labelled’.

Which is another thing that troubles me. Now I know this, am I no longer ‘normal’? Does this mean I will no longer be able to point and laugh at lepers and plague victims? Instead will I need to be shipped off to Molokai and get electric needles stuck in me on a daily basis? Are people actually going to step back and pull a handkerchief over their mouth when I introduce myself? Yeah. I totally, absolutely, believe all these things are going to happen. (Nah - I’ll always be able to laugh at lepers and plague victims)

What’s horrible though, is that I’ve found out I basically have this illness (syndrome? disorder? What to call it?) because my great-grandfather, George, also had it. This is the same great-grandfather from whom my middle name comes. The middle name I never liked, to the point where I was really willing to change my name legally to Samuel J Fletcher. I’m just thinking, horrible middle name and diabetes. What a wonderful legacy this man has left…

“Son, now that you’re twenty-one I think you’re old enough for me to pass on this disease that makes you crave sugar and be constantly thirsty and tired. When I was your age my father gave it to me, and he got it from his father, and one day you’ll give it to your son…”

I mean still, the poor guy had to live with insulin dependence AND a horrible name so I should definitely give him a break. It’s certainly not his fault that I’m in a pathetic whiny mood, but it certainly is more fun to blame someone. So, to be fair to my great grandpappy George, I’ll instead blame Gandhi. He hasn’t been blamed for anything for a while…

7 Comments:

Blogger Jez said...

Hey dude,

That was the funniest thing I've read in ages. Why is it that the funniest things come out of the most serious topics? It's gotta be something to do with the link between fear and humour, yes? A la Funny Business?

Anyway, I've been on your blog for far too long already, and I don't want to catch GAY now, do I?

August 31, 2005 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Catie said...

ha ha, i'm here...
as were you.
would like to say that i WAS trying to be sympathetic, but you kept making me laugh, so instead will just be a sheep and concur with jez.
hear hear.

September 1, 2005 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

Poor Sam. If it's any consolation, i crave sugar too, and should likewise be eating alfalfa and wateer, and I don't even get the luxury of a cool disease(disorder? thingy.); I'm just chubby with no self discipline.

Although yes, polyurea sound sucky also.

September 1, 2005 at 5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

George was a lovely old man who was the elder statesman of the Davies clan. He suffered from the consequences of diabetes because very little was known about the illness when he was younger and I doubt he even had had it diagnosed until he was much older. I guess if you had known him you would be more sympathetic about having his name - perhaps not his other legacy to you.

As an aside, I thought sardonic English students were already required to wander the countryside in rags calling out unclean things.

September 1, 2005 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Ang said...

Yes, and looking lewdly at daffodils. Staring at ladies' chests in order to describe the difference between Beatiful and Sublime. Applying for research grants to do so, laughing cvnically when they capitulate one,that sort of thing.

September 1, 2005 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is Sean's Beard,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about gestational diabetes I have found your site.
I was looking out for gestational diabetes related information. Sorry, I have see that your Hi I'm Sam, and I'm a diabetic... isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

February 22, 2006 at 5:09 AM  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hi, I am Sean's Beard, and like to contact you!

By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about gestational diabetes I have found your site.
Of course, I was looking out for gestational diabetes related information and I have found your Hi I'm Sam, and I'm a diabetic.... Sorry, I have seen that isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

March 3, 2006 at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home