Friday, December 09, 2005

Engrish, it's a funny old game

Yesterday when I was waiting for a bus at Epping Station, I was looking at a 'housemate wanted' flyer stuck to a post that had obviously been written by an international Macquarie Uni student (Is there any other type of Macquarie Uni student, by the way?) which had a delightfully incorrect piece of punctuation. Essentially it just had a comma where it should have had a full stop, and vice-versa. But the unfortunate result was that the final sentence read thus: "Non-smoking student wanted, including electricity and gas."

Although I can understand that getting a student who didn't come with gas would be quite irritating, it's obviously not what the author of said flyer was aiming for. Anyway, if there is a clearer example of what a silly and unforgivingly confusing language English is, I can't find it. Just two little symbols round the wrong way, and you get a sentence so hilarious some idiot who'd just had a long, hard, hot day at work would memorise it and use it as the basis for a blog post. What pathos.

I have realised lately though how much it would really suck to have to learn English because there are a million and one rules governing it, and a million and one exceptions to every single one of those rules. I mean it becomes quite apparent when walking through Lakemba on a Friday night which I do very often that half the people who were born here can't even speak a bloody word of the language. The other day I even said, totally accidentally (for once), said "more better" and I have no idea why - although the flagellation I gave myself as a punishment will remind me never to do it again.

But this has also been striking me a lot lately because I've resolved to learn to speak a basic level of the Chinese language - not just because Bec is Chinese but also because I deal with innumerable customers at Myer who are Chinese and some of them have a really very tentative grasp of English (Today I spent twenty minutes explaining the benefits of a Sunbeam Cafe Ristretto Espresso Machine to a nine-year-old kid because his Dad didn't speak a word of English - and like a nine-year-old would appreciate the benefit of a 15-bar pump system) so I thought it would be really quite handy if I could communicate to a basic level with them without having to resort to weird, pancultural body language (One lady's frantic and exagerrated hand symbols about a week ago were hilarious, although not quite as useful as the phrase "Excuse me young man, could you please direct me to the locale in which you keep your hand-held body massaging kits?).

To this end, I have learned a full one phrase in Mandarin, albeit the most helpful one in the world of customer service, "Can I help you?" Naturally, the most useful one in the real world is "I sorry, I doonut speeky dee Mandarin" but we're saving that for Advanced Mandarin lesson 1. The amusing part of the story however, is that when Bec got me to 'try out' this line on her mother (who, by the by, actually pronounces the word as "Engrish" which I think is really cute), I sort of mispronounced one word the slightest bit which changed the meaning from "Can I help you?" to "Can I hug you?" which is far more amusing - for me, at least - in hindsight than it was at the time. At the very least though, apart from being ample payback for all the times Bec and I have laughed secretly and maliciously at her Mum's pronunciation of difficult words, it made me realise yeah, language is weird. I mean, I can't even imagine now how hard it's going to be to learn a language in which tone is phonemic (That is, a different tone changes the meaning of a word) when the slightest pronunciation error so radically changes the meaning. Much like my friend 'David' who wrote the flyer mentioned at the start of my post might discover if anyone were ever pedantic enough to bring it to his attention.

However, with all of Engrish's little ambiguities, subtleties and downright silliness, I still can't figure out what the people in that Korean restaurant in Capitol Square were trying to say when they called their dishes "Sexy Chicken" and "Passion of the Eel". Can anyone help me with that one?

14 Comments:

Blogger Catie said...

I can say "where is the toilet?" in cantonese! (which funnily enough encompasses both blog post topics for the day) But with my pronunciation I don't dare to ever actually use this phrase, as I have no idea what it would sound like I was saying, and besides, I wouldn't understand the answer.

Oh, and I found out that Canberra definitely has at least one Oportos, so there's some incentive for you to visit...

December 10, 2005 at 12:25 AM  
Blogger Sean's Beard said...

Indeed: there's one in Belconnen, one in Civic and one in Woden. Now if I only knew where any of those places were...

December 11, 2005 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger Catie said...

I do! Well, except Belconnen, that I'm not sure on...

December 12, 2005 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Jez said...

"Sexy chicken" is Engrish for "Beef with noodles", and "Passion of the Eel" means "Tipping is customary".

I looked it up in my Engrish-to-English dictionary. No Sydneysider should be without it.

December 12, 2005 at 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW Sean's Beard. The other half and I just got back from our friends house (well her friends house) and I needed a huge break. I am working on a project right now that is based on clay composite poker chips. I have literally been on-line for 2-3 hours doing research. Even though Engrish, it's a funny old game really isn’t on the same page as clay composite poker chips I am certainly glad I came across your blog. There are a ton of great view points on this blog. Well I think I can here the kids screaming in the background. I put you in my internet favorites and I will certainly come back and visit. If you want to take a peek at my site you can find me here at clay composite poker chips. I update my site very frequently. Again, great job blogging and I will be back again soon!

December 15, 2005 at 2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about poker chips gift set. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on poker chips gift set and it brought me to your blog on Engrish, it's a funny old game. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Sean's Beard and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

December 15, 2005 at 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean's Beard. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching poker chips gift set. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Engrish, it's a funny old game is way off base from poker chips gift set I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at poker chips gift set. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

December 16, 2005 at 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up Sean's Beard! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on clay composite poker chips for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though Engrish, it's a funny old game isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at clay composite poker chips. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at clay composite poker chips. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

December 16, 2005 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Catie said...

that would be more convincing if they didn't have 4 variations of the same comment...

December 17, 2005 at 2:52 AM  
Blogger Jez said...

God spammers are getting weird:

"I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby."

WTF??

Dude, put botchecking on...

December 17, 2005 at 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprisingly enough, Belconnen is at the end of Belconnen Way. Canberra's very neat.

December 18, 2005 at 7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sean's Beard. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching personalized poker chips set. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though Engrish, it's a funny old game is way off base from personalized poker chips set I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at personalized poker chips set. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

December 19, 2005 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Catie said...

something about the sentence "I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree" doesn't sound right either

December 20, 2005 at 12:57 AM  
Blogger Catie said...

Happy Christmas!!

December 24, 2005 at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home