Sunday, January 01, 2017

Books of 2016 Part 4: 20-11

#Library
I’d never heard of this 'classic', but it was labelled and categorised as such in my local library, and you know how impressionable I am. At most times this is amusing and drole and at others just winding and somewhat directionless. That said, there’s some really fascinating observations on the Meiji restoration of Japan (which I half-heartedly studied in year 11 modern history), and the infiltration of western culture onto traditional Japan. All seen through the eyes of a cat!! Kind of. He just serves as a conduit to omnipresence and even omniscience through certain contrivances (like "I can read my master's thoughts, in case you were wondering why I knew how he was feeling in that previous scene"), but also provides a device whereby humanity at large can be critiqued from the outside. At times it let my attention lapse but at others it’s quite hilarious. It’s definitely worth a read, even if only for something completely different.

#BoughtToRead
It’s difficult to assess this with detachment, because it's obviously the sort of thing I like, with Atwood and dystopian fiction. That said, it was a long time between reading Oryx and Crake and this sequel, so the intertextual references were difficult for me to get and appreciate, although things did come to mind eventually (that 'Jimmy' is Snowman returned to me very late, but effectively as a result). The story of Glenn/Crake kind of annoyed me though as I felt there were details missing from this that should already have been filled in but I don't remember, and I feel Atwood could potentially have done more to fill in gaps (maybe even a giant Star Wars marquee in the middle of the book). Anyway, all in all I feel the characters here are somewhat shallow by contrast, and they exist just as functions of the world. It's an interesting way to work a sequel because it's taking her already created world and weaving new stories in it. I feel like the creation of the world in Oryx and Crake was part of its magic though which takes the edge off this. This is very entertaining, and engaging though, as Atwood is nothing if not a fantastic story-teller. And while I appreciate the further dissection of the theme of humanity's propensity to self-destruct as a species, it's just a good continuation of a previous masterpiece rather than a master work in its own right.

#BoughtToRead
So I finally bit the bullet and bought this, after having this specific book recommended to me by our AirBnB host Davis from New York (and in the meantime reading two other Robbins novels). Robbins really does have an imagination like no other; that is the defining characteristic of his writing. But he's also demonstrably knowledgeable and intelligent, so sometimes things that are otherwise so fanciful or ridiculous can seem plausible, which was particularly the case in reading this. At times I wanted to look up validity (particularly when he gets technical about scent and perfume manufacture), but most of the time I just let myself ride. This does get bogged down in details at times (and at others he deliberately alters the narrative so as not to) but otherwise it’s all zany, fun and hilarious. Probably the book of his with the largest scope, and the most intriguing questions at its heart. Still, more than one Robbins a year I feel might be a slog. I did enjoy this but it's a shitload to take in and even reflect on, despite his overall quirkiness.

#Library
#ReadAllTheBestSellers? I picked this one up randomly in the library with a reflection of ‘why not?’ This is a page turner, of course. So much so, in fact, that even after the murderer is identified, and 'neutralised' (I’ll try to avoid spoilers, even though there are very few illiterate dogs out there who haven't read this), I sat with my son asleep on me for an hour enthralled by this instead of putting him in the bassinet. I do tend to eschew page turners generally, just because I appreciate and am entertained by books that challenge me mentally, and page turners by necessity don't. That doesn't mean they're bad, and that is particularly true in cases like this where they're intelligent in the way they construct a narrative. The fact is, Larsson twists a very dark, winding tale, and it's surprising the nooks that are concealed in it. Moreover, though the narrative centres around a murder mystery, it's not the main point it wishes to make, which revolves more around the systematic ignorance and/or blind acceptance of violence against women in Swedish society - which brings us to the revenge-fantasy heroine of Lisbeth. She's definitely an engaging character and can see why she can anchor a whole bestselling trilogy. Still, I feel uncomfortable about how much her place in the book is defined by her appearance, and how much of her way of relating to people is sexual. It just brings up a little ambiguity which keeps her interesting and enigmatic but also feels a bit reactionary. I'm sure more qualified people than me have written more extensively on her. Also, BIG SPOILER ALERT, but for such a tightly controlled narrative, an early plot point really stood out to me as a hole rather than a thread to be twisted later: since Harriet's sending flowers to Henrik was something she did alone and was supposedly a secret between them, why would the continued sending of flowers after her disappearance be assumed to be the murderer taunting Henrik? Why would they have discussed her personal gift-giving before he/she slaughtered Harriet? Surely Occam’s razor demands that Harriet is still alive? It just bothered me that Mikael didn't ask this question of Henrik, but instead also started down the garden path of suspected murder. It just felt like a big glaring clue, that tried to and should have become part of the big twist, but I feel it should have been made less obvious to begin with as it felt really glaring.

#Library
From a contemporary page-turner to one of the pioneers of the genre. This is a great bit of fun to read, even though I knew going in ‘whodunnit’, not because I’d seen any film adaptations but because there’s a joke in an episode of Cheers where Frasier spoils a bunch of movie surprise endings. Knowing the ending, though, doesn't ruin this by any stretch, as there's a lot of conceit and intrigue still to come to terms with. At the same time, I can't help but feel like the solution is one of those great "what if...?" moments, where in reading it fresh suddenly everything clicks - like how I watched The Usual Suspects the first time and wondered ‘what if Verbal IS Soze’, and it suddenly makes all the other confusion make sense. Still, this book is highly formulaic, effectively you could read the exposition and skip to the last chapter and all it does is accelerate everything else. Still, the building of the suspense and the moral conundrum makes for amusing, entertaining reading. Good fun.

#Library
I knew nothing at all about this book going in, except for certain expectations from reading previous Steinbecks; this can have various effects, from intrigue to astonishment. As I read this light-hearted tale of the shenanigans of a ramshackle bunch of misfits, my thoughts - knowing only that it was Steinbeck - ran constantly and unwaveringly along the lines of "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory and be forced into horrifying slave labor conditions where the six-year-old daughter has to eat spoonfuls of gunpowder as penance for falling pregnant after being raped by her uncle?". But no, in fact, I slowly learned during Poochie’s great basketball tricks that the book is basically just 'wacky tales from the fun-loving but occasionally misguided Cannery Row crew'. It's not to say that Steinbeck doesn't throw in a few desperate suicides (mentioned in passing), and some harsh truths here and there, but it was ultimately an easy and entertaining read, big-hearted and at times whimsical. Had I entered with that in mind, I would have enjoyed it as I did, but it wouldn't have seemed so odd. Basically I was a hundred pages into a 200 page book before I realised it actually wasn't going to be cruel and bleak. And while to me that’s generally a crushing blow (“Torture and murder someone after having been driven mad by your own mistreatment and attempted murder, hurry up!” I’ve been known to yell at books, especially ones I’m reading to my son), this was actually surprisingly charming and witty.

#Library
It’s kind of a surprise I picked this up, given how nonplussed I was reading The Master and Margarita. I guess its bite-sized length contributed greatly to my willingness to give it a go, and I’m glad I did because I enjoyed this far more than M&M. Largely because this was more coherent to someone with scant knowledge of Russian society and culture at the time. This is a neat little satire, which at first seems effectively the exact same story as I Am A Cat (with a stray dog taken into a home and observing the humans around him) before taking a massively dark and unexpected sharp left turn. It then raises a lot of interesting satirical questions about humanity, and humanity in a communist state, with the focus on the character of a dog and how he functions in society. Basically the satire, story and comedy are all just more clearly and explicitly communicated to me so I feel like I enjoyed this as much as people generally, or after acquainting themselves with the subject of its satire, enjoy M&M. But ultimately this was just a really interesting read.

#BoughtToRead
I bought this in the oddest place, a great little used book shop run by a couple of cult missionaries in Tyalgum (go there if you want to be indoctrinated) while we were holidaying in Byron Bay. I bought it because I’m still ultimately interested in getting through Booker Prize winners even though I didn’t set myself any sort of challenge this year. This is an unassuming, subtle book that takes a while to give much away: a writer of tawdry romance is taking an Autumn sojourn at a remote Swiss luxury hotel at the arse end of the holiday season, and sees herself as an observer of the humans within the hotel. Gradually we get the idea that her writing, her observing and her judgement of humans are none of them up to scratch, and piece by piece we learn more about her and her reasons for seeking solitude. This is a slow burn of a tragedy, about men and women and the roles they expect each other to play, exploring as well the varied perspectives on what constitutes romance, and whether it's a positive thing or a negative. It did take a while to speak to me, but it spoke to me very clearly as a story by the end.

#Library
There’s a quote on the cover of this book that calls it “the best book you’ve never read” or “never heard of” or something, but Bec had had this recommended so I thought I’d check it out. It’s a very bold move to begin a book with a synopsis of the upcoming plot "this unremarkable man lived an unremarkable life" and then start from the beginning of his supposedly unremarkable life. But its unremarkable narrative conceals some surprisingly profound truths. This bildungsroman concerns itself with a couple of themes – the life of the mind, and the nature of love - that our protagonist stumbles across or through during his – yes, unremarkable – life. I found a marked resemblance between Stoner's relationship with his wife Edith and that of Of Human Bondage's (my number 4 book of 2015) protagonist Philip and his fixation on Mildred: you don't know what he ever really saw in his wife, and when she starts acting crazy and irrational you kind of lose sympathy with him for having been such an idiot. Still, there are captivating passages of prose and it all builds to an ambivalent, bittersweet ending, where Stoner’s unremarkableness is both questioned but also affectingly sad. It’s a curious book for its unassuming nature, and one that isn't immediately rewarding but invites reflection. I went on to accidentally recommend this for our book group, but I can’t say the discussion really fulfilled my unscratched itch to discuss it with someone, because the meeting happened after the itch sort of went away and I couldn’t remember the book in as much depth as everyone else. Despite its quietness there’s an ambivalent power to this book and I haven’t really shaken it despite my mixed reaction.

#Library

Can’t remember what it was that made me pick up this book, but I have a feeling I’ve seen it on online discussions, possibly ones about ‘difficult’ books. And yes, this is very difficult prose, with long sentences and no paragraphing so even when it’s at its most engaging it just feels laborious. I can’t deny too that it probably loses a fair bit in translation from Hungarian, even though the translation is very good. But it's the kind of ambiguous, obtuse text where I feel there must be so much hidden meaning that gets blurred or even lost completely through any kind of filter, like a translator. The plot here is fairly threadbare but it’s idiosyncratic and strange for all of that, and reminded me a lot of Gogol’s Dead Souls except far more elusive and implicit. Basically it’s a very odd book, and it’s hard to really wrap my head round it on first reaction. What it does apart from leave me a bit befuddled is capturing a mood and a place very effectively; it's morose and claustrophobic, and it's interspersed with really unexpected, so very effective dark humour. I do enjoy, as you know (Hi, Mother), books that challenge my thinking and when something is this murky and dense it’s always going to capture my attention even if I don’t get it (like Burroughs’ Naked Lunch does). I definitely want to read more Krasznahorkai, now if only just to get a better grip on what this book is meant to be doing.

So teetering on the precipice of my top ten, naturally I'll leave y'all hanging and for my next post will count up my bottom 16 (51-66) books of the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello from an illiterate dog (see above). But you've got me to put Stoner on my reading list for 2017.

January 1, 2017 at 7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home