Saturday, December 17, 2016

Songs of 2016: 100-51

So as you've probably heard, because you're either Jez or my mother, Jez and I spent most of 2016 listening to a bunch of 2016-released albums, to the point where our goal was to have listened to 1000 albums (including EPs) by the end of the year (this wasn't the goal at the beginning until we realised it was achievable). Jez reached this goal two weeks ago and I took until last week to do it - mainly because I spent two weeks early in the year on a cruise ship without music, and also Jez somehow managed to continue listening to music prolifically with a several-day-old son better than I did.

Anyway, while I have whittled down my albums of the year to a top 25, I have more of an upfront focus on my songs of the year (we did include singles in the music project too, although these didn't count towards the #1000albums goal). To that end, I'm first going to countdown my top 100 songs of the year.

There's only so much that I can write about songs, though, particularly ones that are very good but haven't quite come to mean something to me personally (for various reasons). So for the first 50 I'm just going to do a big dump of the list. If you're particularly interested in why I liked one of these songs, or if you disagree at how low it is (spoiler alert, Jez - The Space Between is at 57), let me know in the comments and I'll probably ignore you! Enjoy!

I should also say I have a full 208-song longlist on Google Play Music that I'll make public after I've finished with this countdown. I will be posting my top 25 albums following my songs countdown.

My top 100, the bottom 50:

100. “Toothbrush” by DNCE
99. “Royal Blues” by Dragonette
98. “Ain’t Giving Up” by Craig David
97. “Transitions” by Youth Code
96. “Stretch Your Eyes” by Agnes Obel
95. “Miis Veieli” by Trauffer
94. “Door to Tomorrow” by Beyond the Wizard’s Sleeve
93. “Silent Speaking” by Paperhaus
92. “Guard Your Gates” by Kevin Divine
91. “Good Girls” by Crystal Fighters
90. “The End is Beautiful” by Jimmy Eat World
89. “m’lover” by Kishi Bashi
88. “Time of the Blue” by The Tallest Man on Earth
87. “Indigo Skies” by Digitalism
86. “Baby One More Time” by the Baseballs
85. “Your Best American Girl” by Mitski
84. “All to Myself” by Amber Coffman
83. “Rosen des Abschieds” by Klaus Johann Grobe
82. “Beyond the Matrix” by Epica
81. “Getaway” by Saint Motel
80. “Girl Loves Me” by David Bowie
79. “Ode to my Next Life” by Kishi Bashi
78. “Tinseltown in the Rain” by Bic Runga
77. “L’attrape-rêves” by Christophe Maé
76. “Too Late” by We Are Scientists
75. “Reglament” by 3D Stas
74. “Blood on the Hillside” by Ninebarrow
73. “Hold Your Hand” by Perfume
72. “(Do The) Act Like You’ve Never Met Me” by TV Girl
71. “Dodged a Bullet” by Greg Laswell
70. “The Devil is in her Eyes” by the Jayhawks
69. “A Fistful o’ Roses” by the Rumjacks
68. “Hassid” by Sheelanagig
67. “Move Your Body” by Sia
66. “Ikoneklasmia” by Stam1na
65. “Goodbye” by Goat
64. “Resampled and Reassembled (Original Mix)” by 3D Stas
63. “When in Disgrace With Fortune and Men’s Eyes" by Florench Welch
62. “The Sign” by the Baseballs
61. “Rick Wakeman’s Cape” by The Fleshtones
60. “De Ti” by Thalia feat. Silvestre Dangond
59. “Wake Up to This” by King Creosote
58. “Nights in White Satin” by Oceans of Slumber
57. “The Space Between” by Jamie Smith’s Mabon
56. “Genghis Khan” by Miike Snow
55. “Lost Girls” by Lindsey Stirling
54. “Someday We’ll Linger in the Sun” by Gaelynn Lea
53. “If You Go” by Passenger
52. “Take Time” by The Jagger Botchway Group
51. “Greenwoods Bethlehem” by Bear’s Den

Tomorrow's post is likely to be a brief write-up of 50 through to 21 before I plunge into my top 20. Likely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home