Friday, September 17, 2004

"Colour is the New Black"

I can't remember what ad it was which included the asinine title of this post... But I saw it last night and everyone at the dinner table, including me, went at least as far as raising one eyebrow and repeating what had just been said in some combination of mockery/disbelief at the sheer stupidity of what was just said. I believe my proportions were mockery 80 - 20 disbelief... The disbelief factor may have been higher except for the fact that it merely reaffirmed my faith in the utter lack of intelligence in the world of Australian advertising.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but essentially translated this statement IS saying, is it not - "Colour is the new abscence of any colour" right?

Secondly, I thought I'd give you a strange insight into the bizarre and utterly indefensibly esoteric state of mind I go through in the shower. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, it was in the shower this morning that the following thoughts went through my mind...

I was thinking about the slang term "axe wound" for a certain area of a specifically female anatomy that is probably best left to the imagination. It then occurred to me, along this same path, that the Latin word for the verb "To Wound" is "vulnero" (or something to that effect) from whence we get such classic modern English words as "vulnerable" and (believe it or not, yes, these two words have the same origin) "invulnerable". Anyway, as I was thinking there, using the shower gel in such a way that is probably also best left to the imagination, I wondered if, in fact, the word "vulva" was in any way related to the same word and named as such by some 19th century linguist who was having a fairly hefty acid trip while updating the anatomical lexycon... Well considering the word "galaxy" and the name for our particular galaxy come from the same Greek source, I thought in my shower-induced state that it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that a crude colloquial term and a purely technical term for the same thing may have the same origin... But unfortunately, no, according to www.etymologyofthewordvulva.com, "vulva" in fact comes from the early Latin volva, meaning quite simply a womb, or female's sexual organ, which in turn is simply adapted from the verb "volvere" meaning "to turn around or roll"

Oh, by the way, that link isn't real. Do you think someone would be sad enough to create such a site? Anyone with that sad a life would instead start up a blog...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fresh cheese!

Lovin' it dude. Cheers for turning on anon. comments....
If you really want a great way to do comments, have a look at www.haloscan.com, it means that you can do comments without a login and stuff, without having to post anonymously.

Anyway, must go and get that bog to flush,

Ciao.

Bogroll Bruce

September 17, 2004 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home